Saturday, September 10, 2011

TOMATO GRAVY!!


I know you are all thinking WHAT?!?!  


That is how I responded to this years ago when my mother-in-law made it for dinner one night.

So what is it...
Only the BEST best thing to do with tomatoes out of the garden!!! 

It doesn't LOOK very appetizing but TRUST me it is sooooo good!!!  
My husband says it looks like school lunch slop but when you taste it you will quickly forget how it looks!!


It is kinda like a thick version of tomato soup.

So what do you do with it?


Put it on TOAST or warm sliced bread!!  
The best is french bread but this is what I had here.  
Still VERY yummy!!

So now...how do you make it...

Have you ever skinned a tomato?
If so...skip this part...
(this is also helpful for canning tomatoes)

You bring a pot of water to boiling and put the tomatoes in for about a minute...


until you see the skin cracking like this...
(sometimes they are stubborn...so just poke them with a sharp knife that will help them the skins the crack)

then put them in bowl of cold water to cool a bit so you can handle them.

While they are cooling you can get a pot and add the butter to start melting while you skin the tomatoes.

The skins will just slip right off
Then cut of the tops off of the tomatoes.


slice them up into smaller pieces.


Now add them to the pot where the melted butter is.

ok I know I know this looks GROSS!! 
 But stay with me!

Stir it around and mash up the tomatoes...they need to get a lot more mushy.  

You want it to look like this


now it is time to add the flour to get it to thicken up.


when it starts to pull away from the bottom of the pan you will need to add the milk


let it warm up to a slow simmer and get thick.

then...serve it on toast!  It is excellent with corn on the cob!!  
That is our favorite!!!

Here is the recipe so you can try it!!


TOMATO GRAVY!!
10-15 average size tomatoes (I use a mixture of different kinds)
1/2 a cube of butter
2-3 TB flour
2 cups of milk
bread of your choice (baguette and french bread are our favorites)

ENJOY!!!







3 comments:

  1. Yum! I have been wanting this for a few weeks now- you're killin' me ;) Once again, you rock the kitchen my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thought you'd get a chuckle from this, as I did. As I scrolled to the part where you wrote, "ok this looks gross, but stay with me." Justin walked up behind me, saw it and said, "That looks gross." I just busted up laughing at the timing of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that this is coming from my daughter who hates tomatos. The comment above from your brother is what I expected from you. Maybe your mother-in-law can get you to try cottage cheese. It is worth a try.

    ReplyDelete